Saturday, December 12, 2009

A Dreamer's Guide to Life: Goals Pt. II

In continuation to my long-ago-post about goals.... so you've written down your goals? Let's make sure these goals are your REAL goals. Ask yourself the following questions:

1. Will these goals make you happy?
2. Will your goals be of benefit toward your future and not just momentary satisfaction?
3. Will your goals not only benefit you, but others as well?
4. Do you believe enough in yourself to make these goals happen?

Having goals is one thing, but being active and continually giving yourself opportunities is the bulk of achieving them. Knowing and understanding what you have to do to achieve a goal is an integral part in success. Sitting and hoping isn't going to cut it. You need to be brave, seize every opportunity, do research, and work hard. Success very seldomly happens overnight (and if it does, it's very short lived). That being said, let's break this down a little bit.

As an example, I'll use my goal of wanting to make a difference to break down how I believe will help me to achieve it.

I. My lifetime goal: Make a difference in the world.
II. Things I want to achieve that will put me closer to this goal: 1. Become a public speaker. 2. Teach. 3. Volunteer my time.
III. What can I do now to help make it happen?: 1. Begin writing my "Dreamer's Guide to Life" blog, meet with clients and make presentations, be a leader. 2. Teach dance classes, train employees, apply for teaching positions. 3. Helped start a not-for-profit dance group, help my family at their bakery, volunteer at events.

This is just a shortened version, but you get the idea. You always want to start with your ultimate goal, and work down. Figure out what you can do to achieve that goal, and what you can do NOW to make those things happen. While you might be doing things now, you should always look and be open to new opportunities, adjusting, and change. Maybe there's a new opportunity that will come along down the road. Consider adding those things to your list, or maybe replacing it with another. Goals are subjective, and they can always change. Nothing is concrete.

One thing to remember: RESEARCH! Doing research in things you want to pursue is very, very important. The internet and literature are great resources to help find statistics, opportunities, internships, jobs, information, and guidance. You should always go into something well informed about the topic.

Last thing, don't worry about what everyone else is doing. The most successful people in the world (yes, the WORLD!) took a chance on themselves; regardless of other people's thoughts and opinions. They knew that what they had to offer was of value and never looked back. They didn't follow the crowd. They didn't let set backs get them down. They persevered through it all. It might be a long road, but believe me, it'll all be worth it in the end.

Stay tuned for my next DG2L: Careers.


No comments: