Tuesday, October 6, 2009

A Dreamer's Guide to Life: Goals

NO GOAL IS TOO UNREALISTIC. I firmly believe this is true. But the real question is, DO YOU? When people are in their adolescent age, they don't even blink when thinking about this concept. Everyday after school, you run off and play "house" or "doctor." The next day, you want to be an astronaut, teacher, firefighter, dancer, etc. The next day, you want to be something else. What's wrong with wanting that in your adult life?

We want to be all kinds of things. We want a career, we want a family, an exciting life, money, hobbies, etc. All things that we believe can make us happy. I want you to know: those things are attainable. People out there are having the time of their lives living out their passions: restaurant owners, actors/actresses, professional athletes, writers, competitive eaters, race car drivers... Each one has their own road to success, but they got there. It's not just about the money (don't get me wrong, part of it is) it's about the enjoyment that comes along with it. The accomplishment you feel once you're going through the motions.

I'm a goal oriented person. The strive and want to hopefully one day meet my goals is my life's passion. For example:
1. I don't want to have just one career. I believe life's too short for me to focus all my time on only 1 thing. I want to be an entrepreneur and be many things, a "Renaissance Man" if you would.
2. I want to make a difference. This is a broad subject, and purposely, because I'm not quite sure yet how I'm going to go about doing this. Maybe my Dreamer's Guide to Life series will do that? We'll see.
3. I want to be an inspiration just like those who have inspired me. I want to inspire by positivity, success, endurance, hard work, words, and actions.
These are just some goals out of my hefty list, but you get the idea.

So, the point. If you ever feel lost, feel like you don't quite know what you want to do, make a list of things you want to do and achieve. It doesn't matter how unrealistic you think it is. Attainability is all in the mind. If you don't think you can do something, you probably won't. If you actually believe you can, you're more likely to make things happen. Give yourself a chance before you rule it out or quit.

Stay tuned for DG2L: Goals pt. 2 - I have goals, now what?!

No comments: