Saturday, October 3, 2009

Fancy Friday: The Big Picture

Things aren't always as complicated as they seem. Including weddings. Yes, there are many tiny steps to achieve what I like to call the big picture and yes, it's a long road with hard work to get there. But as long as those steps are taken properly it's smooth sailing. I bring this up because I think the chemistry of vendors has a direct effect of the success of any event. Without the proper communication between vendors and clients (as well as vendors and vendors), the big picture is difficult to achieve.

There are a lot of gray areas where vendors will overlap. Maybe your florist will be placing a fresh-flower cake topper on your cake: overlapping. Maybe your videographer needs to plug into your DJ or band's sound: overlapping. Maybe your photographer needs a certain amount of lighting from your venue to capture good quality photos: you get the idea. The list can go on and on.

Word of advice, when considering vendors, do not just think about their chemistry with you but with your other vendors. I love meeting new people so I enjoy working with new vendors. Most of the people I've met in the wedding business are the same way - maybe I've just been lucky that I haven't really ran into anyone I wouldn't be willing to work with again.

Bottom line, remember the big picture. It's the direct result to the hard work and dedication you AND your vendors put in.

No comments: