Sunday, February 14, 2010

Valentine's Day: Love me or Love me not

Love me or hate me for this post, but I'm not a big fan of Valentine's Day. Don't get me wrong, I live for romance and I'm lucky to be in love. I love Charlie more and more every day and I hope that he knows just as I know that we love each other more than anything. He's an amazing person, fiance, son, brother, and friend. Charlie, my love, thank you for everything you do. I love you.

But I'm just not big on Valentine's Day, anymore at least. I used to be like everyone else. I counted down the days until the 14th would roll by. I'd plan months in advance and put outrageously tacky thought into my gifts. And I'll admit, I loved every minute of it! But then something happened, a realization I guess you can call it. I don't need anyone to tell me what day to show someone I love them. I don't need a special day to give them a gift, surprise them with something special, or send them flowers. I should be showing everyone I love with my appreciation for them being in my life all the time, or at least, more often than 1 time a year.

So I did a little research on Valentine's Day and no one even has any concrete history of the date. The Catholic Church recognizes multiple martyrs named "Valentine" and have some idea of what had happened, but isn't sure about what really happened. One says that Valentine used to marry couples secretly when marriage was banned for young men with the intent to recruit them as soldiers instead of marrying a wife. Another legend states that a prison member fell in love with the daughter of his jailer and before was killed sent a love letter to her and signed it "from your Valentine."

Ok, that being said it gives me less and less validity of this holiday. Especially if it was to honor a saint and has now turned into a commercial holiday where people don't even know the history about.

HOWEVER, if Valentine's Day helps reignite the love you have for another (or others) I wish you a Happy Valentine's Day. Don't forget the love that you share today. May you remember the love and continue to show it through the rest of the year. :)

No comments: