Thursday, January 14, 2010

A Dreamer's Guide to Life: Business pt. I

Yet another topic I can write (and talk) about forever...yes, EVER! Business. After all, it's the "American Dream" right?! Well, I don't know if it's the "American" dream, but it's definitely a dream of mine and many other people. Business is what makes the world operate. Meaning it's what provides people with jobs, education, items that we need to survive, and more.

Business: n. the practice of making one's living by engaging in commerce

I'm all about business. I live, think, breath, and dream about business. I love talking to business-minded people, hearing what they have to say, their ideas, it's all very exciting. I own 2 and help operate a third. I've even got another one on the way! Why do I love it so much? Because possibilities are endless. You can make anything a business. As long as there is a need, you've got a business. And that fact with such an open ended answer is something that drives me. Crazy? Yes, some times. Actually, many times. But in my opinion, all of it is worth it. So, you interested? How do you get started?

1. Have a concept. Believe in that concept. As long as there is a need, your business can thrive.
2. Name your business. It can be straight forward, it can have hidden meaning. As long as it's not too difficult to pronounce, you're good. :)
3. Write a business plan. This is a very, very important step to your business's success. Many people think that writing a business plan isn't necessary because their business is "small" or they'll figure it out when they get started. WRONG. Having a plan for your business, no matter how small or large, will spearhead you into the right direction. Sure, I'll admit, the unexpected can (and probably will) happen. You might even fall off track or need to update your plan, that's okay. Hire a business consultant to write it for you if you have to. Just make sure you read it. :P But outlining your goals for the start-up of your business will be a key component to your success. Trust me on this one.

Okay, let's stop there. That's enough to keep an entrepreneur busy for a while. Really think it through, take it seriously right from the get-go. Don't "see how it goes." Put yourself on the track for success. Think big in the beginning and push hard to achieve it. It starts with believing in yourself and what you have to offer the world. And believe me, you have a lot to offer. I know, I know. I sound cliche and over-positive, but I'm not lying.

For more information, a great resource is the Small Business Administration website.

No comments: