Friday, October 30, 2009

Fancy Friday: Creating an Identity

The 2 year mark has passed for Charlie and I. It's official, we've set a date and have started talking about wedding/future related things. Charlie and I had a conversation last night and he told me that he's seen me in this mode before, "wedding mode." He says I always get this way when I start planning a wedding. Normally he doesn't care much, he knows it's just my job. But this time, I guess he wanted to get in wedding mode too since it's our wedding this time. So he decided to design our logo for the wedding to get into "wedding mode" himself. Thank goodness he's a talented graphic designer. :)

I'm not sure if it's because I have a graphic design background, but I think it's so important to have a logo identity or "symbol" that represents you as a couple. Why? Because not only can it be used throughout your design for the wedding, but it will give guests, family, and friends eye candy to remember you by. A well designed logo or monogram will make it easy for you to identify all aspects of your special day and tie in a design throughout the wedding. Here are some examples:

Our logo is still in development as far as color goes, but this is the final design.
Our initials (C and O) created the heart and the ring design that is the main focal point. The serif font creates the diamond on the ring and the bow tie at the bottom.

Debbie and George, my D&G couple, is a wonderful example of how you can take a concept from a logo design and use it as the running piece throughout your wedding.
Their Dolce and Gabana inspired monogram not only was a beautiful design that reflected their modern/chic style, but also gave them inspiration to use a fashion forward/hollywood theme to their wedding. Not only in their invitations and stationery but also a press wall for photo ops:

For their place cards and table numbers, they used body forms/mannequins:

And that's just the beginning!

Here are some suggestions to a good wedding logo:
1. Think outside the box. Great design happens when you go beyond what you've already seen.
2. Be yourself. Let the logo speak about you and your style.
3. Don't try too hard. Let the design come to you.
4. Don't be afraid to play around with concepts.
5. Hire a professional. Someone that has a graphic design background can get your point across effectively.

No comments: